ECOLE DOCTORALE MATHEMATIQUES HADAMARD (EDMH)
Issues and objectives
The EDMH aims to bring together in one doctoral school all doctoral training in mathematics from the most fundamental to the most applied, including mathematics at interfaces (in particular with economics, computer science, mechanics, physics, engineering sciences, life sciences) on the perimeter of Paris-Saclay.
Its perimeter contains 16 establishments from the Paris-Saclay University, the Paris Polytechnic Institute and the Paris Sciences et Lettres University, for 19 host laboratories, more than 300 doctoral students and more than 300 HDR. Recruitments are widely open internationally.
Three thesis mentions proposed
- Fundamental mathematics: algebra, analysis, geometry, logic, probability, statistics
- Applied mathematics: Applied algebra, applied analysis, applied geometry, applied probability, applied statistics, numerical analysis, scientific calculation, mathematical engineering, financial mathematics, modeling, optimization
- Mathematics at interfaces: Mathematics-economics, mathematics-informatics, mathematics-mechanics, mathematics-physics, mathematics-engineering sciences, mathematics-life sciences, and others
A perimeter of Excellence
- 10 FIELDS Medals
- 1 ABEL Prize
- 1 WOLF Prize
- 30 Thesis awards since 2012
- Many academic science awards ...
The first scientific contacts of future doctoral students and future thesis directors, in particular concerning thesis funding, are the representatives of the partner institutions. The EDMH Management Committee defines the scientific and educational policy and ensures the coordination of the EDMH.
The recruitment of doctoral students by EDMH comes in two procedures:
- Competition mode, which is the recruitment competition on doctoral contracts offered directly by the EDMH. Deadline for submitting files on the ADUM platform on Thuesday May 18, 2021 at midnight
- Standout mode, which concerns all other funding.
- EDMH's Back to School Day in October
- Annual report on the progress of the thesis and the training followed over 3 years with a minimum of 56h in scientists, and 56h in transverse or complementary
- Monitoring of doctoral students:
- 1st year: interview jury, planning the progress of the thesis
- 2nd year: scientific presentation framed with a thesis medium
- 3rd year: preparation of the defense, discussion of opportunities
The EDMH is particularly attentive to the professional integration of its doctoral students. His opportunities, after possible post-doctoral jobs, include the careers of:
- Higher education and research: lecturer, senior
- Public research organizations (CNRS, CEA, INRIA, INRA, DGA ...), teacher-researcher abroad
- Teaching in high school and preparatory class
- The great bodies of the state
- Jobs in the private sector (R&D of large groups, startups ...)
Labex LMH provides financial support to EDMH
- Funding of doctoral grants
- Contribution to the funding of international research stays of one to two months for doctoral students, as part of the Junior Scientific Visibility Program
- Contribution to the funding of doctoral student stays at events with high doctoral training content, such as summer / winter school, as part of the 4 Vivaldi Doctoral Training Program