Since 2011, the FMJH has been supporting brilliant students who wish to start a research career in mathematics. The scientific environment is prestigious: this is the Paris-Saclay area, where the University of Paris-Saclay on the one hand and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris on the other hand offer training and supervision opportunities covering the whole spectrum of mathematics and their applications. Through the PhD Track scholarships, the FMJH wishes to bring a particular attention to students with very high potential by offering them a financial support during the whole duration of their graduate studies, from master to PhD.
Application requirements for the spring 2021 call
This first call will be for support in the second year of the Master's program and then in the PhD program. Candidates for the PhD Track 2021 grants must apply for entry into the second year of one of the "Mathematics and Applications" master's programs co-accredited by the University of Paris-Saclay and the Institut Polytechnique de Paris (except the FENSUP program). At the end of the master's program, students will pursue their doctorate within the Hadamard Doctoral School of Mathematics. The duration of the proposed funding is 4 years, the amount of the proposed financial support is:
- 10.000 € for the master year (M2), an indemnity covering tuition fees (about 500 € for a year), for foreign students a fixed compensation of a maximum amount of 2000 € per year calculated on a scale according to their country of origin (this flat-rate contribution is intended to cover travel expenses for a round trip and visa fees) and another advantage a housing is booked for you (you must pay the rent);
- The equivalent of a doctoral contract based on the French legislation which is currently 1758 € per month.
How does it work?
Funded students must meet the academic requirements of the master's program and develop a PhD project with a supervisor from the Hadamard Mathematics Doctoral School. Once the master's degree is validated, the Hadamard Doctoral School of Mathematics board must validate the PhD project so that the student can benefit from additional funding to pursue his/her doctorate.
The application for the PhD Track 2021 grants
After a pre-selection on the basis of their application, the candidates will be auditioned by the attribution jury. The auditions will be held in French or English by videoconference.
- Opening of the call for applications: 9th April 2021 at 12:00, Paris time (CEST);
- Deadline for applications: 9th May 2021 at midnight, Paris time (CEST);
- Auditions for final selection: 1st June - 15th June, 2021;
- Final result: End of June 2021.
The application form
It must be filled in online here. It includes:
- Personal information (last name, first name and current postal address of the candidate);
- The name of the master's program in which the student is applying;
- Transcripts of grades from each institution previously attended during the Bachelor and the 1st year of the Master;
- An academic CV;
- Names and addresses of two faculty references;
- A study project: this document aims to explain who you are and what you expect from your higher education. Your interest in the field and your career goals will be detailed. You may use this document to clarify any unusual items in your resume or transcripts (one page maximum).